1. What is Medical Imagining Technology?
Medical imaging technology is the process of gathering images through X-rays, ultrasounds and other medical equipment. These images are studied by doctors and other health care professionals to diagnose or determine medical issues, concerns or other conditions. Medical imaging technology plays a vital role in providing the needed information to determine the type of care a patient needs. There are various kinds of medical imaging specializations. However, there are two most sought after options namely: radiology and sonography. Radiology is based on the radiation waves to produce images, while sonography makes use of sound waves. Both of these medical imaging technologies(MIT) require very skilled Medical technicians to operate the machines, and both form an integral component of patient care.
2. What does a Medical Imagining Technology (MIT) certified person do?
Your duties as a Medical Imagining Technology (MIT) certified person may fluctuate depending on the type of health care facility you working on. In general, you’ll be working with Medical imaging equipment to capture an image of an area of concern inside a patient’s body to get an insight into the underlying issue. You’ll also be making some preparatory assessments of the images before the images are given off to a doctor or a specialist. Your duties will mostly include:
- Preparing patients for the imaging process
- Prepare and maintain the imaging equipment
- Accurately position the patient to get the right image as per the concern
- Operate equipment efficiently to get proper diagnostic images
- Understand the basic difference between a normal and an unusual image
- Analyze images for preliminary findings
- Write a report on the patient to physicians about images
- Maintain patients’ imaging records
There could be variations exist among imaging technicians’ duties—radiologists use a radiation shield to protect patients whereas a sonographer does not but overall the roles are similar.
3. What career path can I take as a medical imaging technician?
Medical imaging technology plays an essential role in today’s health care system. Medical Technicians with the right knowledge and skills to perform diagnostic imaging procedures are in huge demand in various health care facilities. Radiologists and sonographers are always needed in hospitals, and at physicians’ clinics and of course, Laboratories that specialize solely in medical imaging.
4. What could be the salary range for Medical Imaging Technicians or MIT professionals?
MIT professional's salary varies wrt the size of Healthcare organization. An MIT professional usually starts with 2-4 lac per annum salary depending upon his proficiency in the techniques. It is also suggested to understand the concepts and comprehend the various techniques involved to scale up in the MIT industry. As a student, you should dedicate yourself to understand the Medical interpretations with the human physiological conditions with the diseases or medical conditions involved.
5. Which is better- Sonography or Radiography?
Each one has a different set of advantages. BSC MIT course is a study of entire medical systems, one can choose to specialize between the two posts bsc radiology and sonography, the completion of the course. Radiology involves the focused application of radiation and capturing the images accordingly, on the other hand, ultrasound technology uses sound waves to create medical images. While the monetary benefits of Radiology technicians benefit higher than Sonography technicians it would be one's interest in the field too.